Re: thoughts on Ron and Kenny

Josh Ozersky wrote:
> 1) It really is a shame that Ron was dumb enough to
> get involved in Master P's dilletanteish power play.

No problem - Pitino should strike a deal with Master P, where he gives him
Marlon's spot on the team, and signs Mercer for cheap :) There couldn't be
any quality dropoff at that 14th roster spot anyway, not with the "projects"
we had this year.

> Ron is the perfect shooting guard for the system.
> He's so long, he doesn't have a big ego, is murder on
> the break, knocks his shots down with incredible
> consistency, and is far and away the best athlete on
> the team.  He's never tired, and if you can get him a
> look, he will usually hit it.

If you extrapolate Ron's game into the future, he seems like a surefire
perennial All-Star. However, his lack of improvement in the second year
makes such extrapolations look overly optimistic.

> I really wonder about
> having Pierce at the 2.  Then the celtics would be at
> a speed disadvantage, rather than an atvantage, at a
> key backcourt position, which for them is a major
> shortcoming and a waste of their second biggest
> talent, who is clearly the prototypical 3, the way Ron
> is the prototypical 2.

Maybe, but as we saw this season, the combination of Ron's and Paul's games
seems subadditive; that is, when they're playing together, they seem to
detract from each other's games.

>  Also, Ron plays relentless
> defense, and will surely improve with experience.

I'm not so sure about the former, but more optimistic about the latter.

> For
> that matter, does anyone doubt that he will move his
> range back two feet over the next few years?

Did anyone doubt that he was going to improve it this year? And what about
taking his man off the dribble and creating a shot for himself?

> I am
> really sorry to see him go.

Me too, but the question is whether he will improve sufficiently to become a
building block for a championship contender, or remain your run-of-the-mill
shooting guard with a nice-looking J. I guess we just have to hope that
Pitino knows the answer, and will make the right decision - a big ? in its
own right, given his history of decision-making.

As for Kenny, we already knew he had talent. However, as we all know, talent
is a necessary, but insufficient condition for becoming a good player or a
good team. He's not physical enough to play tough D, his passing stalls in a
half-court game, and his shoot-first mentality is a morale-killer given his
veteran PG status. Certainly, with enough hard work and desire most
deficiencies can be overcome, but is there any indication that Kenny is
willing to work hard to improve himself? Looking at his past history, I'd
have to say no. I don't think the improvement we saw in the team's play when
he was out was a coincidence.

The question to ask with players always should be not what they could
*potentially* accomplish, but what they are *likely* to accomplish. As it
is, I don't think  Kenny is the type of PG that will take a team very far
into the playoffs. Nor do I see him making a Darrel Armstrong-like effort to
improve. Mercer I'm somewhat more optimistic about, because he's younger,
and even if he doesn't improve dramatically, he may be nice complementary
player at a non-crucial position, for the right price.