Celts look to save a Penny

by Steve Bulpett
Thursday, June 3, 1999
Sources indicated yesterday that the Penny Hardaway trade talk - for Ron
Mercer
and Kenny Anderson - is slowing around the Celtics.
The information the team received on the Orlando guard has left questions
whether his talent would outweigh the problems with his attitude that have
dotted his career.
Beyond that, Celtic coach and president Rick Pitino was sounding more direct
yesterday in his approach to the current club.
At issue is whether the Celts can sign Mercer to a contract extension that
will
cement his position here. Mercer has one year left on his deal, and Pitino has
not learned if Mercer will come in at a number that keeps the Celts within the
budget set by owner Paul Gaston.
Uncertainties there have led Pitino to see what Mercer might fetch in the
marketplace. ``We're talking to every team about a lot of things,'' Pitino
said. ``That's our job. But our No. 1 priority is to sign Ron Mercer to an
extension. We just have to be prepared if we can't do that. If we can't sign
Ron, then we want to have some options available to us.''
Hardaway may not be an option for a lot of reasons. Primarily, Hardaway. The
talented but leadership-shy scorer does not want to play in a cold weather
city. And to make a deal with the Celtics or anyone else work, Hardaway would
have to opt out of his contract and then agree to a sign-and-trade transaction.
While there is near certainty that the Magic will trade him, pending the
hiring
of a new coach (Scott Skiles and Doc Rivers are interviewing this week), the
latest talk is that Phoenix is a more likely destination.
As for Mercer, Pitino said the Celts could well play out their hand next year
and keep him even without an extension.
``We're not afraid to let him go into the last year of his contract,'' Pitino
said. In the summer of 2000, the Celtics would still be able to pay Mercer
more
than any other team.
The Celts concluded their two-day free agent camp in Waltham yesterday, with
CBA MVP Adrian Griffin, Penn's Ira Bowman, former UConn guard Kevin Ollie and
Rice power forward Brent Scott looking the best.
Donny Marshall, formerly of UConn and the Cavaliers, did well, but there is a
question whether he'll be invited to join the C's at the LA Summer League.