Hardaway to suns

Hardaway's baggage? Carry it
The Arizona Republic
June 3, 1999
Spoiled, pampered, a coach killer at age 27.

A fire starter, a blame thrower, the first to find a lifeboat when the
water gets choppy.

Pick a bad trait, and it probably has been used in describing Little
Penny. The person, not the puppet.

So, when can Anfernee Hardaway get here?

Of all the bold strokes the Suns are considering to recharge an
organization low on wattage, this is a slam dunk. A chance to put legs
on the floor and bodies back in the seats. A chance to instantly change
the look and appeal of a sleep-inducing, church league basketball team.

If it means sending Tom Gugliotta to the Orlando Magic, great. If they
have to throw in Scott Skiles, fine. Because the answer Hardaway
provides is greater than the razor blade suitcase he carries, and if
Bryan Colangelo can pull off this one, the Suns become an attraction
once again.

Just like that.

A bit misguided
No doubt, Hardaway - dubbed And-for-me by an Orlando columnist - has
become quite an enigma in recent years. He chased Brian Hill all the way
to Vancouver and now is questioning his relationship with Chuck Daly,
the kind grandfather of NBA coaches. He could never handle the enormous
spotlight left behind by Shaquille O'Neal, and he has never understood
the accountability of franchise players.
And if you don't think he's a bit misguided, here is how he reacted to
the reams of negative criticism he has received in Orlando:

"I'm sure that Mr. Rich DeVos (owner) or John Gabriel (general manager)
has the power to call the (Orlando) Sentinel - if they really wanted me
here - and say, "Hey, we don't want you writing these negatives articles
about this kid. This is the same way we lost Shaq. Don't do that.' "

All of which makes him standard fare in the NBA, and in this case, there
is always the hope of reform. He wants to play in the Western
Conference, in an up-tempo offense. Here, he could feed off the
brilliance of Jason Kidd. Liberated by a fresh start, less pressure and
a steady diet of assists from the point guard.

If you observed the Suns last season, you understand that a cattle drive
is more exciting. Quicker, too. How many times would Kidd race up the
court and wonder where his teammates were? This team needs speed to keep
up with the pace horse, a team craving athleticism in the worst way.

And face it. The Suns don't need Gugliotta, a wonderful, self-made
player who roams about like a bull in a china shop. He is an ill fit for
this team, and his presence only exacerbates the limits of Luc Longley.
Trust me on this one: The deficiencies of a 7-foot Australian would
hardly be noticed if Antonio McDyess were flying around, swatting shots,
recovering on defense.

Too many play-alikes
Longley and Gugliotta are simply too much alike to exist in the same
lineup. The Suns have too many forwards. They need to commit to Pat
Garrity, who showed all signs of being the real deal. They need some
serious sizzle, and since Longley will get you Chris Dudley and a
kangaroo to be named later, Gugliotta is the only expendable asset.
If Colangelo can get this thing done, he will acquire a marquee
off-guard with size and flash. He can go after Mitch Richmond with the
$2 million exception. He still has the ninth pick in the draft and the
$1 million slot to offer.

He will ring the alarm clock of apathy, and the Suns will be instantly
relevant. And if nothing else, they will provide a reason to watch.

If it all seems too obvious, too good to be true, understand the tide is
low in Orlando.

Hardaway and the organization have had just about enough of each other,
and all that's missing are the parting shots. He is there for the
taking, with one requirement.

"It has to be somebody who wants me for me . . . and not having to be
the superman," he told the Sentinel.

Good enough for me. Besides, the Suns already have their superhero.D