May checks in with pessimism

Peter May checks in with his normal pessimism. Peter, don't you think that
even if they had agreed on a trade they wouldn't admit it, at least until the
official negotiating time with free agents can start? Man, who in the Celtics
organization jilted him? He is a joke...

Don't count on Penny with Celtics

By Peter May, Globe Staff, 06/03/99

ALTHAM - All of you pining for Penny can chill - at least for now. (And
with this weather, that's not a bad thing.)

Orlando general manager John Gabriel said yesterday there is nothing to
the rumored deal that would have the Magic send Penny Hardaway to Boston
for Kenny Anderson and Ron Mercer.

''We have nothing going with them,'' Gabriel said. ''The phone has rung.
But no one is aggressively pursuing it.''

Meanwhile, Rick Pitino said yesterday that any talk with Orlando, or any
other team, is ''all conversation'' at this point.

''Our intention right now is to try and sign Ron Mercer. If we can't,
we'll keep all scenarios open,'' he said.

Mercer is eligible this summer to sign a long-term extension, but the
Celtics are not prepared to offer him what they gave Antoine Walker
(although they will offer him something he can live off quite nicely).

Pitino said yesterday he's had no conversations with Mercer's agents
from No Limit, although the team has made several inquiries. ''They're
not in any rush,'' he said, ''and, to be quite honest with you, we're
not in any rush either. We're in contact with Ron.''

A phone call to Mercer's agent was not returned. Pitino's comments came
at the closing of a two-day free agent camp at Healthpoint. Pitino said
he will take three players from the camp to the LA Summer League next
month.