Josh Ozersky

Mercer a Mav not: C's eye Samaki, but not in trade
Summer League Notebook/by Steve Bulpett and Mark Cofman

Saturday, July 31, 1999

The Celtics are indeed looking at acquiring forward Samaki Walker, but he won't be coming as part of a proposed package with a Dallas No. 1 pick for Ron Mercer.

Rick Pitino confirmed that the Celts had worked out the 6-foot-9 free agent.

``We're looking at him for possibly our $2 million exception,'' Pitino said last night. ``I like Samaki Walker. I've been watching him since college and I think he has a lot of talent.''

Pitino said Walker could be part of a larger sign-and-trade deal with the Celtics, ``but we're not interested in that,'' he added, in reference to a Mercer for Walker and a No. 1 deal.

One of the obstacles is that taking a draft pick doesn't address the Celtics' desire to take a step forward now.

Another possible problem is that Walker has suffered a series of injuries, never coming close to playing a full season since coming out of Louisville in '96.

It remains likely that the Celtics will make a trade involving Mercer. The club seems to be concerned about its ability to sign him to an extension and fears losing him with no return next summer. To leave, Mercer would almost certainly have to pass up more money with Boston to go elsewhere, as salary cap room should be gone for all but a few teams by then.