Re: The concept of trading Mercer for Samaki Walker makes me sick

I'd rather have Lorenzen Wright too.  (Remember when
we all thought we would get Wright AND Taylor for
Mercer?)  Or Antonio Davis.  Or Steve Francis.  But I
think most of the league knows what Ron wants, and
they recognize him as one-dimensional.  I highly doubt
Pitino thinks Walker is even up talent for Mercer.
But he may be the best we can get, when you factor in
the cap ballast and the all-important lottery pick.

--- clittlefield@lycos.com wrote:

> Thank you, Joe.
>
> This whole Mercer for Samaki Walker trade is crap.
> I don't even want to start
> on comparisons because it's beyond pitiful.  If this
> goes down, I'll be
> disgusted.
>
> Smacky might be worth the $2 mil exception if he had
> been productive for more
> than a third of the few games he's actually played
> in, and even that's a reach.
> That this is even being discussed as a rational
> proposition is appalling.
>
> I would have been juiced if we'd gotten Antonio
> Davis, but we didn't.
>
> I would be pretty pleased if we ended up with
> Lorenzen Wright.  As the Clips
> need any backcourt players with a pulse that they
> can get their hands on, this
> could work out.  If Indiana gets Wright, I'll be
> very bummed.
>
> Someone who they could trade for (I would if I
> could) is Szczerbiak.  The Wolves
> need a 2-guard.  Wally is a 3.  I'd dig it.  And
> he's going to be an All-Star in
> the near future...mark my words.
>

> Went to the Celts v. Washington the other night.
>
> Wayne Turner:  Got a little torched defensively, but
> scored when he needed to,
> made some great passes to Battie for dunks, and
> generally ran the team well.
> Ran it much better than Ollie.
>
> Griffin:  Just like the papers say.  Solid and
> unspectacular, but productive.
> Might not be as much so against the higher levels of
> competition.  But you never
> know.  He seems to know how to play the game, and
> that's an advantage.
>
> Battie:  Looked good, not great.  Got beat up a
> little bit by the wannabe's.
>
> Clack:  No outside shot, great penetrator.  Looked a
> little heavy and out of
> shape.  Good ballhandler for his size.  Made some
> nifty penetration moves off
> the dribble.  Went up really high.
>
> McCarty.  Even skinnier.
>
> Overall:  Stepania's big and arrogant for Seattle.
>
> Later!
>

> j.hironaka@unesco.org on 07/28/99 02:38:08 PM

>  To:      celtics@igtc.com
>

>  cc:      (bcc: Chris Littlefield/Lycos)
>

>  Subject: Mr. Bskball Says Its Anstey, Walker &
> Future No. 1
>           for Mercer, Ellison  and Popeye
>

> WayRay wrote:
> >Anyways, if the trade goes down, I'm sure the
> Rickster will put a nice
> spin on it.
>
> How about:  "This young man Samaki Walker is a major
> bonehead operation
> away from having 'future All Star' written all over
> him"?  IMO, his
> career achievements don't even hint of Rodney Rogers
> potential.
>
> Hearing the phrase "Ron Mercer for Samaki Walker and
> Chris Anstey" goes
> way beyond my worst nightmare. First of all,
> basketball is nothing at
> all like baseball or football where you have mucho
> guys on the field and
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

name=att1.eml