Re: Mr. Bskball Says Its Anstey, Walker & Future No. 1 for Mercer, Ellison and Popeye

I appreciate this point of view, and think it's well
stated.  But we can't really get value for Mercer
because of his contract status, and the inclusion of
all this cap garbage makes me think that Pitino is
clearing cap room for another good veteran player.
Fortson is better than Mercer, and was unrealistic.
Moreover, he will want the max just as Ron did, which
while I agree with Joe wasn't the main reason behind
his exile, was definitely part of it.  You can only
have so many 6-year 71 Million dollar players on your
team before you run out of money/cap room forever.  I
worry about the talent level diminishing, even if
Samaki turns out to be really good.  We're giving up a
starter for two backups.  But the key in this is the
lottery pick.  Remember how we got Ron in the first
place?  For that matter, remember how we got Mr. AVI
video highlight, Antoine Walker?  An unprotected first
rounder from Dallas is the NBA equivalent of Microsoft
stock.  Since I suspect there will be further roster
tinkering, I like this trade a lot, and even if there
isn't the combination of a lottery pick down the road
and addition by subtraction now makes it make sense.
As long as we keep Walker and Battie, I will be happy.

The bottom line with the coming season is that Kenny
Anderson has to get with the program.  If he does,
we'll score 100 a game, no problem, and make the
playoffs.  If he doesn't, we're in trouble....UNLESSS
it turns out that Walker and Pierce are full-blown all
stars, we begin to utilize Potapenko, and the PG
position becomes strictly an assist and defense
strength via Wayne Turner or somebody like him.  Hell,
Dana for that matter.  Chemistry can do a lot for your
offense.