Smack me, Walker

Sounds like a player who is definitely, definitely worth trading Ron Mercer
for. Why not throw in Paul Pierce for Don Nelson's golf shoes? At least Walker
will come cheap ... not.

DJessen wrote:

>Walker presents another dilemma for Nelson. Walker regressed; he did not play
>in 10 games because of frequent defensive lapses and bonehead decisions on
>offense. The guy has talent, but the only time he has consistently shown what
>he can do in his three seasons in Dallas was during a 26-game stretch in
>1997-98 when he averaged 11.0 points per game and 8.4 rebounds.

>Nelson wants Walker back, but he won't pay top dollar until Walker has proved
>himself over a full season. Walker would probably like to get away from
>Nelson, but he will draw only lukewarm interest elsewhere after averaging 5.9
>points per game this season.

>Walker turned down a four-year, $20 million offer from the Mavericks in
>January, asking for $42 million over six years.

And can somebody tell me please, in the name of God, what Chris Pasty will
bring to the table? Warwick, I know you love him, but let's get real. The guy
has shown zero, zilch, nada in the NBA. His most significant achievement is
getting traded for Kelvin Cato. I can't possibly imagine his being any better
than Eric Riley or Shintzius.

Trading Pervis as part of this deal also doesn't make sense. Perv's rolling
off the cap next year should be our only significant cap relief and a chance
to make a run at a decent middle-tier FA. Unless I'm doing the math wrong, why
would we sacrifice that?

I cannot believe, Josh O, that you expressed excitement over "a more
aggressive version of Travis Knight." Isn't that like saying, "A more handsome
version of Meatloaf?" (Not trying to flame you here.) You could give either
Knight or Anstey a gun and they wouldn't be a threat in the paint. I'd rather
have Gladys Knight. True, the lotto pick sweetens the deal (assuming Nellie is
that dumb -- wait, he is), but what about "not getting younger?" This trade is
Eric Williams all over again; I have to believe Mercer could net more. Samak,
meanhwile, will be lucky to get the $2 mil exception from anyone. I'd rather
have Rodney Rogers ... I'd rather have MR. Rogers.

BskBALL's stuff (which I find about as useful as Jersey Red's) says Mercer
"would not even consider a sign and trade next year." What a load of BskBULL.
Once Mercer realizes he can make much, much more money that way than by
leaving as a FA, he'll tie on the bib for a heaping helping of crow. BskBOY
also says "Pitino does not want to part with his core guys;" well, what the
hell do you call Ron Mercer, the team's second leading scorer the past two years?

I have to go take by blood pressure medication.