Re: State of the Celtics

>From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
>We have:
>
>5. Potapenko
>4. Battie 	P. Jones
>3. Walker	McCarty
>2. Pierce	Griffin
>1. Anderson	Barros		Turner
>
>The holes in this lineup are at the power positions 4 and 5. We
>may only have Potapenko and Battie as servicable players.

I don't think you can say that.  If the situation became that desperate,
Antoine is certainly "servicable" at 4.  The real hole in this lineup is at
center only.  Antoine has been pencilled in as a 3 out of preference, not
because he can't play 4.  Also, your scenerio assumes no contribution from
Popeye or Pervis, which I suppose is the safe way to plan.  And, Riley
doesn't even make the team as a 12th man.  Why is that when it seems like a
12th man emergency center is exactly what the roster requires?  I know
that's what the papers are saying today, but why?  I think your point was
that if Mercer is traded it needs to be for a big guy, which I guess is
true, but how does it really help if the guy you get is a strict PF who
can't play center (eg. Samaki Walker, Rodney Rogers, Danny Fortson)?
Haven't heard any of the Lorenzen Wright rumors lately.  He can play center,
right?  Thank God Tony Battie "loves the weight room".

Jim