Re: And finally.....and I mean finally

>From: damekmo@teleport.com
>
>If I'm not mistaken, Pierce is locked up for three years and then the
>Celtics have right of first refusal in years four and five, when you can
>guess that an awful lot of teams should be over the cap. Yes? In >any case,
>at this point, I think, "Pierce is untradeable" is more about lots of
>potential on the cheap for 5 years.

I'd agree with that.  I don't think Pierce is necessarly the *best* player
from the last two drafts, but he's in the top handful.  And, like you say,
the Celtics can look at him for 4 years before deciding on his value, so
that certainly makes it easier to keep him than, say, Mercer.  I just can't
figure out who you're debating this with?  Now, if you're talking specific
players, I wouldn't trade Pierce for Carter, because I don't think it's
clear that Carter is better.  Abdur-Rahim is irrelevant, because of contract
status.  Pierce for Odom?  Well, it would be a ballsy move.  The sort of
move that could make the difference in a franchise.  But, you'd have to be
really convinced about Odom, and I just don't watch enough college ball to
make that call.  I certainly wouldn't fault any team for holding onto a fine
young player rather than making that trade.  Hell, at least three teams
weren't even convinced enough about Odom to use a draft pick on him.

Jim