Re: I totally agree.

peter delevett wrote:

> I've thought about this an inordinate amount of time, and I think there's a
> solution that could net us a decent big man while still not leaving us totally
> in the lurch at the 3. Yes, it's the Potapenko deal again, but with a twist.
> We would send Pierce, DQ and Dontae to Cleveland in exchange for Potapenko and
> Wesley Person. Hear me out here. All we are really giving up is Pierce, which
> is a lot, but we are gaining a 6'10, 280 pounder who can lean on the big
> bodies and is a good post scorer.

I still question the deal, Potapenko is terrible. If all one wants is a 270 pounder
then
why not aquire Montross from Philly for some second rounders.

> We also are gaining a scorer at the 3 spot
> who can swing to the 2, is young and athletic enough to play Pitinoball, and
> is one of the better three point shooters in the league. We were dismal in
> that area last year, and having him (& Dana) on the wings could really open
> things up inside for Walker and for drives to the basket by Mercer. One of our
> biggest needs at the end of last season, remember, was a scoring 3; we got
> that in spades in Pierce, but Person will still meet that need while also
> bringing us a legitimate center.

Person is a good shooter but he is terrible defender..from whatever I have seen of
Pierce in college we are getting a total package not just a one dimensional player.
am not just willing give up on a player who has the potential of being a perennial
all
star in this league.

> Potapenko's no all-pro, but in the insane
> world where Matt Geiger gets $80 million, we might never be able to afford
> one. His lousy rebounding and shot-blocking could be offset by Jones and
> Battie, respectively.

Geiger is better than Potapenko, Potapenko is very fould prone and hasn't shown
anything
in the NBA. Heck he hasn't played more than 16 mpg.

> We also get rid of Dontae's salary and potential attitude problem. The Cavs
> would probably be willing to do this, as Dontae's contract expires at the end
> of the season. They would have to sign Potapenko to an extension before we
> made this deal, since he's also a FA this summer.

Donate is gone if not in a trade at the begining of the season then definitely in
the middle of
the season to a team seeking salary cap relief.

> Me, I would be willing to say, 'Let's see what Battie and even Schintzius can
> do before we deal Pierce.' I've already raised my concerns about whether
> Potapenko could run & gun in our system. But if we are doomed to trade Pierce,
> I think this could be one of the more attractive deals around.

I don't think Schintzius will make the team and I am disappointed in Chris Wallace
so much so that he couldn't get anybody better at the backup center spot. There are
tons of people who are not young but can play center better than Schintzius. -
Mishra