Re: Walker

>Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 10:50:24 -0800
>From: peter delevett <pdelevett@amcity.com>
>To: Celtics <Celtics@igtc.com>
>Subject: Walker
>
>Jim - I might be wrong here, but signing AW to an extension now
>doesn't necessarily impact our cap figure for this year. They >wouldn't
have to tear up his current contract - he would just have a >new
contract already in place when the current one ends.

Sure, you could sign free agents for this year, but you wouldn't be able
to sign them to more than a 1 year contract.  And they wouldn't have LBE
rights, so you couldn't extend them at the end of the year either.
Unless I'm missing something?

>Most importantly, Toine has said he'll look elsewhere if the Celtics
>DON'T sign him before his current deal expires. I don't want to
>call his bluff.

So, the Celtics are supposed to give up signing players that would help
the team because Antoine says he wants an extension this year instead of
next?!  It's an entirely different market now.  Players were using that
threat in order to extract absurd amounts of money from their owners.
There is simply no reason for Antoine to do it now.  He can't make any
more money by blackmailing the team.

Jim