Celts survive gut check

Hey, folks,

I was _juiced_ after the Nets game.  With Orlando and New York, both
teams were tired and had been winning, perfect prey
for the rested C's.  But this game against the Nets was a real gut
check.  They were rested themselves, whereas the C's were playing their
third in four days.  Even more importantly, they were hungry, no
desperate to break out of their losing streak.  And despite their record
and
the absence of Cassell, they are a talented, athletic team with Jayson
Williams, Van Horn, Gill and Kittles.

That they fought back from 14 down, tied it up going into the fourth,
and then bear down and win in a very hostile environment
says a lot about both the team's character, and its ability.  No way
they did this last year.  No way they did this last week.

The rapport growing between Pierce and Walker is a sight to behold.
They were both huge in the 4th, but Walker, lest ye Pierce-lovers
forget,
was huger.  4 assists, a couple steals, and 11 points is pretty decent,
I would say.  He's not the captain for nothing and he showed it last
night.  Instead of making Walker jealous, I think Pierce's performances
are spurring Walker on.  Antoine's offense was really under control last
night, and that little jump hook (did he have that last year?) is
looking more natural every time.

The best play of the night, for me at least, was the alley-oop pass from
Pierce to Walker.  But not just for the pass.  It was Barros, setting a
Stocktonesque screen on Van Horn, that made me smile.  He just planted,
and leaned on the foot-taller Van Horn, and stopped him cold.  Next
thing you know, Walker's slamming, all alone, pretty as you please.

I also enjoy watching the C's big men, notably Declerq and Battie,
passing to Barros inside after Barros runs around the screen.  They LOVE
that play.  I just have this vision of them smirking as the littlest guy
on the court goes inside for an easy deuce off a big-man pass.  I just
hope they can get Barros to dunk again.  He did it once last year.

Yes, I know I predicted 20 wins.  And the season is young and anything
can happen.  But I must admit the last three games have made me a little
more excited.  The C's are not only showing potential, they appear to be
learning how to win, and rounding into shape, and their game coming
together a little bit.  Now if they can hold serve against New Jersey
Monday, and whack Cleveland Tuesday, both of which are eminently
possible, then I'll start getting really excited and start frothing at
the mouth about winning the Atlantic Division or some such drivel.

This is a fun team to watch.