Re: Postgame thoughts

"Bob George" said:
> Free throws?  Ick.  First of all, notice how many more FTs the opponent
> seems to be getting?  Two answers:  1) Pitino-ball, and 2) too many
> young guys who won't get breaks from the refs.  Second game in a row
> that there was a huge disparity in free throws.  Then, the guys have to
> make them!  It sickens me to see Big Country toss in 14 of 14 (or
> whatever he hit) from the line and see Toine clank one after another.
> Very rarely does any Celtic hit two for two from the line anymore.

  Very well stated, Bob.

  In addition, I'd like to point out one encouraging item as far as
free throws go.  Though the Celtics once again missed a lot of free
throws, they suddenly started hitting them in the overtimes.  I think
they only missed 1 or 2 in all 3 overtimes combined, and they took
quite a few.

  I think when this team really focusses and learns how to give a sustained
effort, they'll do just fine.

peter delevett worried:
> I find many things about Snoopy's game summary depressing: lack of
> aggressiveness to start the game, lack of team play -- everybody out there
> freelancing for himself -- that is the sign of a bad team, friends. Pathetic
> FT shooting despite the presence of a new "shooting coach." Not challenging
> anybody coming into the lane. Settling for open jumpers; standing around on
> defense. Has this team already stopped listening to Pitino?

  The good news is that they didn't do these things the whole game.  When
they got determined and aggressive, they did fine.  They probably have a
lot of Pitino information they're trying to incorporate right now, and
they're probably physically worn out.  By mid-March, they'll be back home
for 18 of their last 28 games (15 of their last 22), and they'll be more
comfortable with the Pitino style so they don't have to think about it
consciously, and they'll get more time to rest (not travel), so things will
start to come together.  Unfortunately, for the next 3 or 4 weeks they're
going to continue their Jeckyl-and-Hyde, up-and-down, sometimes great,
sometimes awful play.

  If they can reach 22 games with an 11 and 11 record, then watch out,
because they should really start to take off with more consistently good
play at that point.

Jon Mc