It's defintiely long. It could be the Prozac. But.....

>Antoine Walker
>
>Holley says: "Pitino was asked if he thought Antoine Walker would be a
>Celtic
>on Opening Night: 'I'm 98 percent sure he will be,' the coach said."

I'll try sending this post one more time. Sorry Way. Anyway, as long as
Antoine stays:

I don't know what to make of Ron and his contract saga. Concerning this
trade, the only way it doesn't make any sense is if you believe Ron will
develop a 3 pt. shot anytime soon. I've been down on Ron from Day 1 because
of his lack of 3 pt. shooting. If Ron ever develops that shot he's an
all-star. Period. He's an all-star "and" he helps his team immensely by
spreading defenses, and opening up space for his teammates. If Ron had a 3
pt. shot he would've gotten his $$$$ from Rick. I think it's as simple as
that. And it wasn't like he didn't know that's what he needed to do. He's
playing for Rick "May as well take the 3" Pitino. Bill Cooper wrote that he
thinks the 3 is an easy skill to develop. Ron's athletic, big, strong, and
can shoot the jumper. He doesn't put it on the floor that well; he doesn't
create his own shot that well; he doesn't go to the hoop that well. He has
one skill that he should've developed, that it always seemed to me he had
"a head start on," and that's shooting the 3. Whether it's an easy skill to
develop or not, it seems like it should've been easy for Ron. But...it
never happened. Maybe it never will, although, I will admit, 1 full year
and 50 games in another might not be enough time to really judge. But
again, if you aren't going to show progress taking the 3 with Pitino.....?
Ron could've had the green light, all night, every night. I think in the
end, Ron dug his own grave concerning his value to the team. Also, when you
look at Denver's starting lineup, that draft pick looks awfully good. And
Issel projecting Ron as a starter at the 3 is just totally nuts. Fortson?
I've already said I don't buy this guy's ability to stop pf's, on good
teams, from abusing him offensively and getting him into foul trouble early
and often. He's not athletic like Rodman, he doesn't have a dominating
offensive game like Barkely to make up for his lack of defense. Other power
forwards aren't expending a lot of energy guarding him. I know you all hate
to hear this, but in Danny's case I think it's true: He's short, doesn't
move "that" well, and can't jump. So, in his case, at the 4, height
matters. The Celtics didn't get this guy to start at pf. His starting at
center for Denver was a necessary gimmick. I don't think he guarded more
athletic pf's with Denver (And who isn't more athletic and taller at pf?)
because he can't.  You can go through all the numbers you want. We've all
seen him play. I could be wrong. I could be totally underestimating him.
But I just don't trust his numbers coming off that team in a 50 game
season. So, I think it comes down to Tony. I think Tony's the wild card
this year. The kid's tall, athletic, blocks shots, appears to have a nicely
developing offensive game...seems to be able to rebound well enough.
Nobody's going to turn and shoot over Tony. I think, unlike Fortson, he
forces other PF's to play some defense, and he has the potential to be a
better defensive player. I think he complements the sluglike VP much better
than the almost sluglike DF. If Tony doesn't develop his game much more,
then this team's in trouble, and Mishra's right. If Pitino keeps Antoine,
as it appears he will, and Battie keeps on getting better, as it appears he
will, then I see no reason why this team shouldn't easily make the playoffs
next year. And I mean - another pill please - "easily." Fortson is the
perfect player coming off the bench to dominate every frontcourt backup and
beat on starters while racking up the fouls. The guys a 6'6-7" human club.
There's nothing wrong with physically tormenting other players. Calbert
Cheaney is an acceptable backup at 2 or 3. He can't start....EVER. Pierce
dominates at the 2. Antoine and Kenny take ball handling
responsibilities/problems away from Paul. Ricky certainly has quite a bit
of flexibility up front. Antoine is Antoine: given a full preseason he'll
be in shape by opening night...he'll be the best player on the floor every
night. Given the talent on the floor, this isn't a bad team. They don't go
deep into the playoffs, but making the playoffs? God help me....no problem.
That's "given the talent." Now, concerning Rick's coaching......

Has my crazy uncle Peter M. publicly mourned the loss of Ron yet? I've been
"busy" and haven't been keeping up. If he has, did he blame Antoine?

Paul M.