Re: Funny thought

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:

> On the way in this a.m. I thought it strange that EW may return to
> Boston to show AW how he learned to stop worrying and love the weight
> room.  It would be nice if that could rub off on AW.

I'm glad Eric "Senor 360°" Williams has a body that looks nice in the
mirror, but all the hours in the weight room hasn't translated into
improved play last year. Although EW seemed reasonably healthy last year,
he blew his chance at starting small forward last year on a horrible team
that really had no one else at that position. This is why Denver is
gambling on a starting small forward who carries only 210 pounds and has
shown no versatility as a rebounder or passer. Who's Mercer going to
guard when they play the Celtics for example?

One reason to consider trading EW immediately (if that's even allowed) is
that he has upwards of 20 million dollars remaining on his contract
through the 2003 season. Once the 3 million in Denver financial aid
expires this year, he will be a much less attractive commodity to most
teams (as is also the case with Kenny Anderson). Moreover, hanging onto a
5-million-a-year bench contributor like EW could have an adverse impact
on Tony Battie and Dan Fortson's contract expectations, not to mention
Gaston's ability to re-sign both of them (although I believe he will).

Now that the Celtics have turned overnight into exactly the sort of team
I hoped they would become, I have much more faith in Pitino to realize
what an albatross "Senor 360°" could look like next off-season. Anyone
who follows the Celtics would sense that Monday's Issel/Pitino
conversation went something like this:

Dan:     We're offering you Danny Fortson and a Denver first round draft
pick....
Rick:     Woo hoo !
Dan:      But only if you take back Eric ".365 FG% last year, .393 FG%
the year before" Williams.
Rick:     Doh !

I assume Pitino can still trade EW this summer if we include the nice 3
million incentive. Some GM out there might be impressed with EW's weight
room numbers. I really think Pitino should consider doing this. It's a
bit delicate, but for me this is the final step Pitino should take this
summer to improve the future of our team.

Oh yeah, and have Way Ray come in and play "GM for a day" so we can get
rid of Antoine Walker (and more importantly the worst instincts and
ignorant statements his continued presence in Boston undeniably brings
out in people).

--------