Re: Mercer Article from Denver Post

>From: clittlefield@lycos.com

>According to Scott, Pitino led Mercer's representatives to believe the
>Celtics were going to deal with any one of a number of other teams, some of
>whom may have been willing to give Mercer an extension immediately.
>
>"There were other teams we knew wanted Ron, who were willing to work a
>really good deal and wanted to go ahead as soon as he got there and sign
>him,'' Scott said.

I know I should be used to things like this by now, but do I read this
right?  Mercer's agent is saying that Pitino is supposed to consider a
team's willingness to extend Mercer's contract when agreeing to a trade.  It
sounds like Pitino kept him informed about the deals he was considering, and
a better one came along, so he took it.  Was he supposed to turn it down
becaue they want to wait to see how good Mercer is before committing 60 or
so million dollars to him?  Unbelievable.

Jim