Re: Agent: Mercer Was Misled And Lied To By Pitino -Reply

>>> William Lee <leew@wadsworth.org> 08/05/99 07:38am >>>
At 07:33 AM 8/5/99 -0400, Ray wrote:

quoting a Denver Rocky Mountain News Staff Writer:

>                     Mercer might be especially sensitive
>                     right now, his agent said, because
>                     Celtics president-coach Rick Pitino led
>                     Mercer to believe he was going to
>                     another team.
>
>                     "It was a shock, honestly, because that
>                     wasn't the team that he expected," Scott
>                     said. "We feel Rick Pitino went behind
>                     our back and did a totally different
>                     deal...

Poor Ron.  Really, why should he have any say (or even prior
consultation) on
which team the celts have negotiations?  If you believe his statements,
he held
a gun that said if he wasn't signed, he wouldn't sign.  Rick didn't meet his
price so he needed to be traded.  End of his input.  Unless, of course,
Ron was
planning to stipulate that he would accept Rick's offer if the trade partner
was not to his liking.

Bill <<<

I'm not sure that the point of this article was to make us feel sorry about
the way that the trade impacts Ron Mercer, per se, but rather how Pitino
and the Celtics will be viewed by "the market" (i.e.--free agents) in the
aftermath of the trade.  If the leaguewide perception of Pitino is that he is
a congenital liar / deceiver, that our owner is "cheap," and that our front
office negotiates in bad faith using "capanomics" to justify ulterior
agendas...

Ryan