Michael Holley on Mercer and Trading Antoine

Says Antoine to the Pacers for Dale Davis and draft picks.
So conjecturing:  Tony Battie becomes the starting small
forward and the C's have a manure-load of draft choices for
future trades....

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Celtics get down to business

                                Mercer is finally traded

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 08/04/99

                                Ron Mercer will
                                be in Denver
                                this morning. He will
                                take a physical. He
                                will sign a six-year
                                contract extension with
                                the Nuggets, who are
                                now bankrolled by a
                                billionaire owner. And
                                then, finally, the
                                6-foot-7-inch guard
                                will exhale.

                                ''Now I can go to Denver and not worry
                                about trade rumors every year,'' Mercer
                                said yesterday. ''From Day One in Boston,
                                it seemed like I was always being talked
                                about in a trade.''

                                Yesterday, the talk became official.
                                Mercer, Popeye Jones, and Dwayne
                                Schintzius were traded from the Celtics to
                                the Nuggets for power forward Danny
                                Fortson, former Celtic Eric Williams,
                                reserve guard Eric Washington, a
                                conditional first-round draft pick, and $3
                                million. The deal means that Celtics coach
                                and president Rick Pitino now has traded
                                his first two draft picks, Mercer and
                                Chauncey Billups, both of whom now play in
                                Denver.

                                Add the team's signing of point guard
                                Wayne Turner and you will see that the
                                Celtics were busy yesterday. And they may
                                get busier. Indiana Pacers president
                                Donnie Walsh confirmed that the teams have
                                had conversations about a trade. The
                                Pacers would like to acquire Antoine
                                Walker; the Celtics would most likely be
                                looking for 6-foot-11-inch forward Dale
                                Davis and draft picks in return.

                                One of the snags in such a deal would be
                                Walker's contract. He is to make $9
                                million next season, but if the Celtics
                                were to trade him, the most their new
                                player could make is $5.25 million. Davis,
                                30, will make $4.9 million next season.
                                But the Pacers would have to be creative
                                to fit Walker under their cap.

                                For now, Pitino and general manager Chris
                                Wallace are excited about the deal they
                                were able to make with the Nuggets,
                                especially since it was no secret that
                                Mercer had to be traded. The Celtics are
                                also excited about the pick they received,
                                2001 being the earliest they can use it.
                                All picks are protected, meaning that the
                                Celtics can't use it if it's in the top
                                five in '01, top three in '02, or No. 1 in
                                '03. And if they haven't exercised the
                                pick by '04, they will be required to do
                                so.

                                Pitino explained why Mercer could no
                                longer be a part of the Celtics: ''I could
                                never come close to the numbers Ron
                                wanted. If I could come close, I would
                                consider hanging on. It was a situation
                                where we could never have signed Ron
                                Mercer.''

                                Mercer's agent, Tevester Scott, was asked
                                exactly how much the Celtics offered
                                Mercer when they met with him last month.
                                ''I can't get into specifics,'' Scott
                                said, ''but they totally disrespected his
                                ability as a basketball player with the
                                money they offered him. There are guys on
                                the bench who make more money than they
                                were offering.''

                                Scott said he was pleased that Mercer is
                                heading to Denver, but added, ''The
                                Celtics blew some very good deals. I can
                                tell you there were a lot of teams that
                                wanted Ron.''

                                Mercer said he understood that he was the
                                team's easiest bargaining chip. So the
                                Celtics dangled him as they sought a
                                rebounder. They found the rugged Fortson,
                                a 6-7, 260-pounder who averaged 11.6
                                rebounds last season. He was available
                                because he wanted to start and the Nuggets
                                didn't see that role for him next season.
                                When Raef LaFrentz was injured, Fortson
                                took over at center and became the NBA's
                                fourth-best rebounder. But general manager
                                Dan Issel now projects a starting lineup
                                of Antonio McDyess, LaFrentz, Mercer,
                                Billups, and recently signed point guard
                                Nick Van Exel.

                                ''I like the trade,'' Fortson said. ''It
                                will be a better situation for me than in
                                Denver. I'll have the opportunity to play
                                a little more and show what I can do.''

                                If Walker is not dealt, the Celtics see
                                Fortson at power forward, Walker at small
                                forward (a position he favors), and Vitaly
                                Potapenko at center. Paul Pierce will
                                switch to shooting guard. ''We are
                                convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt,
                                that Paul can play shooting guard,''
                                Pitino said. The coach said Pierce has
                                dramatically improved his ballhandling.

                                Fortson was asked if he sees himself as an
                                Eastern Conference type of player. ''No
                                question,'' he said. ''It's a rough and
                                tough conference, and I think I'm suited
                                for that.''

                                Issel agreed, but added that the new NBA
                                rules could hurt a physical player such as
                                Fortson.

                                Mercer and Billups being reunited is not
                                the only coincidence in the trade. There
                                is also the return of 6-8 forward
                                Williams, who was traded by Boston in
                                August 1997 to the Nuggets. At the time,
                                Pitino said Williams couldn't play for him
                                because of his poor work habits.

                                ''I didn't have my head together at the
                                time,'' Williams said. ''I've matured.
                                Coach Pitino said he wasn't going to stand
                                for anyone slacking off, and he was true
                                to his word, man. I'm in the weight room
                                so much now, guys on the Nuggets used to
                                compete with me and see if they could beat
                                my records.''

                                Williams had the lowest body fat on the
                                team.

                                ''I'm glad to be back,'' he said. ''I
                                found my niche in Boston. And, hey man,
                                the duo is back. I'm about to call my boy
                                now and tell him the news.''

                                Williams was referring to Walker, one of
                                his best friends when the two played
                                together in the 1996-97 season. Williams
                                didn't have good times in Denver, blowing
                                out a knee his first season there and
                                playing poorly - 7.2 points per game -
                                last season. He did receive a $30 million
                                contract, $3 million of which will be paid
                                by the Nuggets' new owners.

                                The Nuggets are excited about Mercer, who
                                averaged 17 points last season, playing
                                with them in their new arena. And Mercer
                                is partially excited about leaving.

                                ''I'll miss the fans in Boston,'' he said.
                                ''Let me tell you why: They get on you
                                when you do something wrong, but they
                                appreciate a good play. I like that.''

                                He is not the only one happy today.
                                Fortson and Williams are happy about the
                                opportunity to play. The Celtics are happy
                                that they got a rebounder. And the Nuggets
                                are happy that they have their first pure
                                shooting guard since the days of Walter
                                Davis and Fat Lever.

                                ''I'll tell you something else,'' Williams
                                said. ''People in Boston are going to like
                                Eric Washington. He's a great defensive
                                player, he runs, and he shoots the three.
                                That's everything Coach Pitino wants.''

                                This story ran on page F01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 08/04/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.