Re: Team Philosophy

Warwick wrote:

> At the moment our best version of this type of player is quite probably
> Vitaly Potapenko and at 6'10" I honestly believe that he is an inch or
> two too short to be this type of player, he does however have the bulk

He's not too short - he's the same height as Mourning & Olajuwon. His main
problem is his lack of leaping ability and, possibly, relatively short arms.
Not to get into Pitinospeak, but I seriously think that, if they could
increase his leap by 6 inches in the offseason (IMO, realistic through a
combination of losing of a few extra lb. and specific weight training), he'd
increase his rebounding average by 2-3 reb./game. So many times I've seen him
in a good reb. position, going up for the ball with players his height or
shorter, and just not being able to reach the ball by a couple of inches while
the other guy snatches it. Heck, he might even score a few more points.

> As far as the backup power forward position comes along, I can see this
> position belonging to Walter McCarty for the next decade.

McCarty as a power forward?! You must be kidding. The only role I can see
"Wallah" filling successfully is that of a mascott for Pitinoball and a
cheerleader- a very expensive one at that, comparatively speaking. I cringe
every time he decides launch the ball towards the basket (I hesitate to call
that movement "shooting"), and his defensive contributions consist mostly of
running around and flailing his arms - he doesn't seem to actually stop anyone
form scoring.

> B) Offer a package of Kenny Anderson, Greg Minor (or Pervis Ellison) and
> next years #1 pick to the Phildelphia 76ers inexchange for Matt Geiger
> (who fills our need as a starting center superbly) and Eric Snow (great
> defensive point guard having a career year in Philadelphia).

Righhhhht....If we threw in Schintzius and Garnett, I bet they'd give up
Iverson and their #1 pick to make this trade happen.

> I believe that both of the trade proposals are realistic options. With
> the 76ers acquiring Tyrone Hill to become their starting power forward
> and switching Theo Ratliff back to center I believe is an admittance
> that the signing of Matt Geiger has become a failed experiment and they
> may be best suited to trade him for the best offer that they can get.

Even if Ratliff played center full-time (which he's not suited to do), they'd
still need a backup for the PF and center, no? And that doesn't mean
Out-of-Service.

> With Allen Iverson becoming their full time shooting guard this gives
> the Celtics the perfect opportunity to dump them with Kenny Anderson who
> may infact be best suited on a team where his scoring may become the
> foil to elevate Iverson to the leagues most valuable player. When

Let met get this right: since Iverson will be a shooting guard now, he needs
another shooting guard (which is what Kenny de facto is these days) to
complement him?

> thinking about it, Eric Snow is not the type of player that commands
> coverage on defense, yet Anderson clearly is. This move forces the
> opposition to move their small forward (who would be in all honesty much
> slower than Iverson on many occassions) onto Iverson.

The opposition coach who'd have his SF take Iverson on defense should not be
coaching in the NBA.