Re: Bob Ryan

peter delevett wrote:

> Also, Bob, I just wonder: What was your salary in 1966 when you paid $3 for a
> ticket to the Finals? What were you paying for a gallon of gas, or a new car
> to put it in? In other words, what is the fucking point of saying this, except

There can be only two possible explanations:
1) Ryan is not aware of such a basic econ concept as inflation.
2) He _is_ aware of it, but is intentionally disregarding it, as Peter says,
> to stir up more "irrational fan" resentment and accompanying "behavior?"

> Does
> opining that "the 1999 NBA game ... is beyond dreadful" somehow make people
> feel better when they come to the games? "Our beloved game has been hijacked
> by some alien force." Yeah, Bob, it's all been going to hell in a handbasket
> ever since the British lost the Suez.

He strikes me as the type that grows "old" (attitudinally) and cranky before
he ever reaches the age of 15. I guess it must fit with the ethos of these
geezer, "old-timer" sportswriters (and their wannabes) that they used to show
on the Sportschannel, wearing stupid hats, smoking cheap cigars, and
incessantly cutting each other off while arguing about how, in their day,
everything was better. How old is Ryan, anyway? Fifty or so?