Re: Hanging out with ML

It was a disparaging remark aimed at Pitino and his ego. Also, the woman
rolled her eyes.  I was a bit shocked about what they said and that they
were so up front with a stranger. I got the impression that Rick and ML go
about things very differently....obviously. The woman also said something
like "he (ML) had him his first year and he was fine. They just need to
leave him alone." They also said that the media in this town is tough and
gets in the way.

You can imagine that a laissez-faire coach/person (ML) who had already been
with the club does not appreciate the methods and ways of a control freak
(Pitino) who is new and shaking things up. ML seemed to care what happens,
but not in an angry way....much more so in a
throw-your-hands-up-what-can-I-do kind of way. He seemed unhappy, but
resigned to the fact that this is the way it's going to be and he is a team
player.

Also, about tanking the season....he said that in a way that led me to
believe it was not just his idea. It was a team plan that he was aksed to
carry out. Again, a team player. That's what he really is.....remember the
towel waving?

Come to think of it, Bird and ML come from an era where you didn't babysit
players. Pitino was a college coach used to controlling everything about
his program and his players. They come from different places and different
experiences. I imagine Bird rolls his eyes at some of the Pitinoisms he
learns about.

Theresa