Re: Hanging out with ML

Theresa Lee wrote:

> So last night I volunteered to take tickets for an event related to my job.
> Michael Dell from Dell Computers was speaking and I thought it might be
> interesting. In walks ML Carr, VP Business Development for the Boston
> Celtics. He was there to meet Dell and give him a packet of information
> from the Celtics. He could have cared less about the event itself, but he
> had to wait around for Dell, who is a billionaire 15 times over, to arrive.
>
> So I hung out with him. I must say I had mixed emotions intially, but then
> he started giving me information AND he was a genuinely nice guy so I left
> with a positive opinion of him as a person.

I met ML Carr back when Ford was still the coach.  I guess it was maybe Spring
of 95.  I agree that he seemed like a good human being and was very open and
accessible.

> He was with a woman described to me as "this young lady right here takes
> care of Antoine. She's like his mother." She didn't look like anyone's
> mother. What information could they offer?
>
> 1. Antoine wants to stay with the Celtics, but the "coach doesn't want him.
> No one can be bigger than the coach and Antoine is getting too big for the
> coach." Antoine is "a good guy, doesn't bother anyone and does a lot for
> the community. He's a good kid."
>
> 2. Pierce is the real deal.
>
> 3. When I told him that I even watched the Celtics during the 15 win
> season, he said, "but that was by design." For what, I asked?  "To get
> Timmy."  Then I asked him if he had heard about Duncan's disparaging
> remarks....he had. I told him to give Duncan a hard time next time he's in
> town.

And this was what I said many times when the press and fans were trashing ML.
He was just doing his job.  That was all.  Too bad it didn't work out.  And
that was one reason he got to go to the lottery pick.  He did his job just as
he was asked.  He took the heat for the Celtics.

--
Peace,

Bentz Kirby
http://www.scsn.net/users/sclaw