Re: Tim Duncan

At 09:12 AM 11/12/98 PST, "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com> wrote:
<Snip>
>That his personnel moves included some miracles as well as
>some that had to be done to extracate the team from the hole it had dug
>itself.... I'm thinking of Kenny Anderson, who, by the
>way, is a quality veteran who had no qualms about coming to Boston.
>Eric Williams?  He was looking for, and got, big money from the Nuggets,
>so the Celtics would have let hime go this year anyway.

Just a couple of points -I'm probably half way between you and Paul. RP did
pull off some minor miracles, but along with that and the moves that had to
be done, you also have to recognize that some of what he did was
questionable at best. Take your Eric Williams case. You're right -Eric was
already talking about the money he expected to get overpaid on his next
contract. But the problem isn't necessarily that RP dumped him, but how
little he got for him when shortly before there was talk of offers for a
first round pick and maybe a player too. Looks like a hasty decision taken
in a snit rather than to do the best thing for the Cs. And KA's a weak
example as a vet willing to come here because he and RP have a l-o-n-g
relationship.

That being said, part of why I'm less willing than some to write off RP
despite the mistakes is that he doesn't stay married to them, as too much Cs
management of the recent past has done -case in point, Chris Mills' rapid
departure. And he's smart enough and has shown signs through his career of
learning from his mistakes. I hope he continues to, because the one sure
thing is that he's going to make them. Everybody does.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net