Re: Tim Duncan

Well, Paul, I have to say you come off sounding like a (perhaps former)
Knick fan who thinks Pitino bailed on them.  Being a Celtics fan myself,
I don't have much of an opinion on the matter.  What I do know is that
Larry Bird felt that Pitino was the best man for the Celtics job.  That
Pat Riley left New York for pretty much the same reasons that Pitino
did, but you seem to praise Riley (both were pretty successful in their
subsequent jobs).  That Pitino did a great job of coaching the Celtics
last year.  That his personnel moves included some miracles as well as
some that had to be done to extracate the team from the hole it had dug
itself.  I'm thinking of Andrew DeClerq, who is a positive marvel,
signed long term for low money.  I'm thinking of the smokescreen to
draft Mercer.  That took balls, my friend, leaving him open to the
fourth and fifth picks.  I'm thinking of Kenny Anderson, who, by the
way, is a quality veteran who had no qualms about coming to Boston.
Eric Williams?  He was looking for, and got, big money from the Nuggets,
so the Celtics would have let hime go this year anyway.

So, you did give me a pretty good idea of where your problems with
Pitino come from.  You didn't, however, make one suggestion about what
the Celtics should do next.  Let's start with Antoine.  How high would
you go to sign him?  Do you think they should give him "franchise
player" dollars, at this stage of his career, if that's what it takes to
keep him?  I just think that if you are going to be highly critical of
Pitino's performance, you should be ready to say what you would do
differently.

Jim