Re: Holy Christ....Kim's right!

At 07:11 AM 11/6/98 PST, "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm not saying Kim's wrong, but it's sort of a chicken and egg debate,
>really.  The huge contracts wouldn't be such a problem if they weren't
>guaranteed.  But then guaranteed contracts wouldn't be such a problem if
>they weren't so huge.
<snip>

I might well be wrong, but the effect of the guaranteed contracts is not
just because they are so huge. Even lesser sized guaranteed contracts cause
problems if they block you from doing other things. Dino's contract wasn't
huge, but it's caused enough headaches. We had to let people like Fox go,
because he was the FA and others we could have better spared were still
under guaranteed contract. Would we even be talking about people like Pervis
as cap deadwood if they could just be cut? It's not just the money side
either. People talk about signing FA to improve the frontcourt, but we have
a real limited number of available roster spots and can't just cut someone
to make room. We need to upgrade everywhere and can't sign that many
players, even if both sides are willing. And finally, I pointed out that the
guaranteed part takes motivation way from all but the most self motivated
-Pervis is again a classic example.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net