Peter Vecsey: Knicks Want Sprewell; Agents Don't Want Owners' Plan

Vecsey makes a good point about why the agents so detest the owners
plan.
He also notes that Denver is after Gugliotta...

                                    [New York Post]
                                         SPORTS

                                     KNICKS WANT SPREWELL

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    IT'S astonishing how nasty and negative NBA
                    negotiations and the entangling mob turned this week.
                    And that's even before I had a chance to write.

                    Before squaring up the computer to take my customary
                    allotment of potshots, though, Knick fans might be
                    surprised to learn how eager management is to obtain
                    All Defendant First Team Latrell Sprewell from the
                    Warriors; a controversial move I unconditionally
                    endorse.

                    The thought of pairing the versatility of polished
                    Allan Houston and the energized Sprewell in the
                    backcourt invokes courtly visions of Walt Frazier and
                    Earl Monroe; neither a pure playmaker, but both able
                    to handle the ball and manhandle the defense.

                    For good measure, Sprewell's supernatural skills
                    include the capacity to body-up and sweat official
                    scorers. Of course, his attitude, off-beat approach
                    toward coaches, delusions of being victimized and
                    bent for filing frivolous law suits leaves a bit to
                    be desired.

                    Then again, from what I understand, David Stern has
                    joined forces with Sprewell in his litigation against
                    agent Arn Tellem.

                    Still, once he's back on the job, I'm convinced the
                    only ones Sprewell will terrorize again are
                    opponents. Now that he's been shocked into
                    remembering how tough life can be (as a have-not
                    growing up in Milwaukee) far away from the sounds of
                    cash registers, team charters and camaraderie,
                    they'll be no back talk from the backcourt, it says
                    here. Latrell's days of being a certified crimespree
                    - at least outside his car - are over.

                    If I were in charge of a playoff team (as long as
                    Chris Webber wasn't a member), you'd better believe
                    acquiring Sprewell would be a top priority. He's
                    loaded with every factory feature, he's just turned
                    28 and is utterly available.

                    Furthermore, who else can you name who's been able to
                    make such a smooth transition from lock-up to
                    lockout?

                    But enough of this giddiness. As every Knick fan can
                    testify, it's not as if New York has the resources to
                    box out the Spurs (Will Perdue and Sean Elliott),
                    Heat (Jamal Mashburn and Vashon Leonard) and probably
                    the Pacers (Dale Davis) for Sprewell's services.

                    That doesn't make it an impossibility; it just means
                    team president Ernie Grunfeld has to become
                    especially creative; somehow use a third team to get
                    the Warriors a couple goodies or that special someone
                    who's more appealing than what the Knicks have and
                    the competition is offering.

                    Face it, acquiring Terrell Brandon from the Bucks
                    doesn't look promising. Neither does figuring out a
                    way to make salary-cap room for free agent Rod
                    Strickland or sufficiently compensate the Wizards or
                    another team that signs him. Where else are the
                    capped-out Knicks going to find someone as succulent
                    as Sprewell?

                    OK, other than Rucker or Rikers?

                    Hey, and if things happen to unravel a tad at times
                    for Sprewell, think of how Cablevision could jack up
                    its rates by showcasing him on both Madison Square
                    Garden Network and Court TV. Think of the cross
                    promotion.

                    PHIL JACKSON tells me, despite Michael Jordan's vocal
                    union activity of late, he still thinks His Airness
                    plans to retire.

                    I don't know anything for sure, Jackson said. It's
                    nothing he's told me. It's an unspoken feeling I get
                    from talking with him. The only way I can see him
                    returning is if the schedule is reduced to 50-to-60
                    games. Other than that, I can't see him putting his
                    mind and body through the grind again.

                    Word up from LA: Kobe Bryant and Grant Hill, hanging
                    out together for much of the summer, played
                    one-on-one recently. First to 21. Hill notched six
                    ... Look for the Hawks, $3 or $4 million under the
                    cap, to make a big push to sign free agent Rick Fox.
                    Although he loves the Lakers, they don't have the
                    money to satisfy him. The shift to Turner and Time
                    Warner certainly won't stunt Fox's movie career ...
                    No way Elden Campbell isn't traded before season
                    starts.

                    Antonio McDyess might've gotten as much as a $90M,
                    six-year extension from the Nuggets. Instead, he
                    forced a trade to the Suns and took a chance they'd
                    take of him this past summer. Now, no matter how the
                    new collective bargaining agreement plays out,
                    McDyess, said to have hired Master P as his agent to
                    replace Tellem, may well have blown a fortune. The
                    Suns can't pay him enough. Look for the Rockets to
                    try.

                    Why shouldn't we be surprised agents are opposed to
                    any deal that would limit salaries in any shape or
                    form? After all, why would the players, say Tim
                    Duncan, need an agent if he knew the maximum amount
                    of money he could earn on his next deal would be $7M
                    with 10 percent ($12M average) annual raises over six
                    years? Why would Scottie Pippen need an agent if he
                    knew the maximum he could get is $12M (and a $15M
                    average) using the same procedure?

                    Agents would become as extraneous as they are in
                    negotiating rookie contracts governed by a three-year
                    pay scale.

                    Fact is, all the players would really need in both
                    cases is a lawyer (paid by the hour vs. four percent
                    of the pact pocketed by the agent) to make sure his
                    client is completely protected.

                    Which reminds me, how come the union and the agents
                    are incontrovertibly against a hard salary, but they
                    have no problem with a maximum four percent charge
                    for negotiating players contracts? I thought the idea
                    is to make as much as you can?

                    Look for the Nuggets to make a strong bid for Tom
                    Gugliotta. After what he encountered the grief he
                    encountered during brief stay with the Warriors, I
                    can't see the free-agent forward joining another
                    losing team. Gugliotta is the kind of guy who'd take
                    less to stay in Minnesota if that would make him
                    happy. The thing is, I'm not so sure he's happy
                    playing with Stephon Marbury, no lock to stay put,
                    either.

                    Just about everybody I've talked to within the last
                    few days is disgusted and depressed regarding the
                    sharp turn downward that the CBA talks have taken.
                    What does the suddenly rigid stand by both parties
                    actually mean? Probably that they'll reach an
                    agreement when we least expect it.

                    How does Stern get it done? Simple. Offer Patrick
                    Union a championship ring.