Re: Holy Christ....Kim's right!

I'm not saying Kim's wrong, but it's sort of a chicken and egg debate,
really.  The huge contracts wouldn't be such a problem if they weren't
guaranteed.  But then guaranteed contracts wouldn't be such a problem if
they weren't so huge.  The only reason you don't hear it talked about is
that it's not on the bargaining table right now.

Regarding owners being fiscally responsible, I go back to my point about
competition between teams.  It is the CBA which sets the rules by which
the owners have to abide and, therefore, the much talked about 'market
value' of players.  If a system is agreed that allows a player to make
$50 million a year, then someone will pay it.  They will worry about
trying to generate that kind of revenue later on.  If that continues, at
some point they are going to sign contracts that they can't pay.

The owners are saying that is a bad way to operate a business.  That you
shouldn't spend money speculatively.  That costs should be determined by
revenues, not the other way around.  They understand that the pot of
gold is finite.  The players will still make more money as the owners do
their jobs and maximize revenues and, let's face it, they've been
exceptional at that for the last 15 years or so.

The players and their agents seem to be saying that they are entitled to
salaries that increase at an astronomical rate in perpetuity, regardless
of the revenues of their employers.  Or at least that's how it sounds to
me.  If anyone can explain it in terms that sound more reasonable, I'd
love to hear it.

Jim

PS I hope Paul's OK and that he e-mails us from whatever planet they've
taken him to.

>From: damekmo@teleport.com
>Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:24:58 -0900
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>Subject: Holy Christ....Kim's right!
>
>Let's face it. Kim's right on the money with this one. I couldn't agree
more.

>Paul M.
>
>>The real problem to the fiscal situation isn't free market, hard cap
or any
>>other issue usually brought up. It's the guaranteed contracts.
Exceptional