Re: Gaston

Ken Mattina wrote:

> I'm still not sure how much race has to do with this all.  If Antoine
> was
> white do you think the Globe would love him?  I think that the Globe
> loves to
> create controversy (read sell more newspapers).

Hey, I've calmed down somewhat. Since you pose the question, I don't
know how much race has to do with it either. If AW were white and made
the All Star team at age 21, I guess Bob Ryan might still give him a
hard time for his stupid on-court antics. Ryan might even have been more
unrestrained in his "Punk" tirade (if that's possible). Who knows? But
at the same time, I really think there would be a few more positive
articles about AW and the bright Celtics future and how URGENT it is to
sign your franchise player. In other words, more balance from Ryan and
May.

In my firm opinion, Peter May has actively tried to orchestrate
controversy and shape public opinion in hopes of convincing management
to ship Antoine Walker out of town. For example, on Sunday he implied
(with a straight face I guess) that the Heat might not even benefit as
much as our Celtics from this latest hopeful trade rumor (because
Antoine is TOO SHORT for an already small Heat lineup). Scuse moi?

I think someone on our list wrote many months ago something to the
effect of : "I wonder what the heck Walker did to May's daughter?"
Personally, I've never before seen such clear animosity between a star
player and the team's principle beat writer. I don't know how or if this
situation ever will be resolved. I do know that if AW becomes a
superstar somewhere else, no one will ever point a finger of blame at
Peter May for repeatedly trying to poison the kid's relationship with
his coach and community. What irritates me is he doesn't have the nerve
to say straight out that Antoine Walker is scum. That's why I think
Peter May is a slimy-ass critter. But, BTW, I hope it's very clear that
I did not imply earlier or now that Peter May, Bob Ryan and Will McDonut
are in any way racist. All I'm saying is that their collective,
unrealistic, fuddy-duddy "olde school" expectations help to reinforce an
already one-dimensional view by racist Boston peckerhead morons of my
man Antoine Walker. There needs to be more balance from those old white
guys.

Geez, I ought to demand a retainer fee as Antoine's publicist.  I hope
I'm not totally wrong about this kid  :-)

Enough from me.

Peace,

Joe

****