Re: My source

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Theresa Lee wrote:

> My source, who is personal friends with Paul Gaston, tells me that the
> Celtics will make an effort to sign Pippen to a three year deal. They know
> he probably wants to go to the West Coast, but they will give it a shot
> anyway. He also says that they either want to trade the pick or move up.
> They will not take Mohammed. They want to sign Walker and will offer
> $80-$90 million, but not a dime more. They may also lessen the length of
> the contract to accomodate the lower number. (is that possible??).

Now that's interesting - it sounds like Gaston isn't worried about paying
a dollar amount per year, just the total amount of the contract.  What's
wrong with $20 million/year for four years?  Five years?  That seems to
get both sides what they want.

I wonder what public reaction will be if Antoine insists on both
Garnett-like numbers (per year) and a long-term contract.

Dan