Re: Mercer (was Re: Dr. J and arrogance)

Kim Malo wrote:

> At 03:48 PM 5/4/98 -0800, Paul M wrote:
>
> >I hope Mercer
> >spends as much of his summer at the 3-pt.-line as Walker does the
> >free-throw-line.
>
> Serious question, just in case it sounds like sarcasm. Why are so many
> people determined that Mercer HAS to develop 3 point range (which, BTW, is
> not always possible, even with practice). Same on the Cs ng. I mean, given
> that his specialty is rarer than a tendancy to heave up 3 point bombs in
> today's NBA -*reliable* midrange jumper- and how well he uses things like
> scrrens, not usually involved in 3 point land. And how well he finishes on
> slash and drives. And finally, given how many other people we have that are
> all too willing to heave up &^%&^*(&)(*& 3 pointers. Why is there this great
> demand by so many people to see Mercer out there bombing away too?
> Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if he could hit them occassionally,
> which he *has* done, and it would be nice to have him able to do a bit more
> often. But me, I don't WANT Mercer out there much, so I don't understand why
> I see a lot of people insistant he has to become a 3 point shooter. Lots of
> things I'd much rather have him put more time into this summer.
>
> -Kim
> Kim Malo
> kmalo19@idt.net
You are right now there is nothing wrong with Mercer's game. It would be
great if he could be a 3 point threat but only as long as it does not
affect the rest of his game. I really see him as a slashing guard with a
great 15-20 foot jump shot and he is a damn good foul shooter. As the
old saying goes "if it aint broke don't fix it".The only thing I would
like to see him acheive is a little bit more "cockiness" on the court,
because honestly he is that good. I said it before and I will say it
again with  that the Celtics with Walker and Mercer they may have the
next Jordan/Pippen  combo of the next generation. Just my feeling.
Regards,
Hart