Mercer (was Re: Dr. J and arrogance)

At 03:48 PM 5/4/98 -0800, Paul M wrote:

>I hope Mercer
>spends as much of his summer at the 3-pt.-line as Walker does the
>free-throw-line.

Serious question, just in case it sounds like sarcasm. Why are so many
people determined that Mercer HAS to develop 3 point range (which, BTW, is
not always possible, even with practice). Same on the Cs ng. I mean, given
that his specialty is rarer than a tendancy to heave up 3 point bombs in
today's NBA -*reliable* midrange jumper- and how well he uses things like
scrrens, not usually involved in 3 point land. And how well he finishes on
slash and drives. And finally, given how many other people we have that are
all too willing to heave up &^%&^*(&)(*& 3 pointers. Why is there this great
demand by so many people to see Mercer out there bombing away too?
Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if he could hit them occassionally,
which he *has* done, and it would be nice to have him able to do a bit more
often. But me, I don't WANT Mercer out there much, so I don't understand why
I see a lot of people insistant he has to become a 3 point shooter. Lots of
things I'd much rather have him put more time into this summer.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net