RE: What gives?

At 06:16 PM 3/27/98 -0800, Greg Odegaard wrote:
>Thank you for your response.
>
>The media reports state he has a stress fracture now.  Whether this is
truly a broken bone in the literal sense, I don't know.  It is already
serious, again as reported in the Globe and ESPN.

Yeah, a stress fracture is a kind of break, although calling something a
fracture as opposed to a break usually means it's a lesser injury, sometimes
merely a partial separation rather than going all the way through. If it's
actually been building all year from some sort of precondition, it's likely
basically a simple pulling apart. Again, using McHales' foot stress fracture
that also developed over time and abuse as a parallel, that's basically what
that was all about. The problem there was not letting it heal properly and
making it worse by continuing to play on it. Dunno how comparable the two
situations actually are, but there seems to be at least a working similarity.

>I am probably more frustrated though that only yourself and Theresa (thank
you too by the way), have interest in this matter.  Obviously we as a group
are on cruise control, with the lack of discussion on all the injuries to
Bowen, Knight and Kenny.  I guess it is good we aren't in contention for a
playoff spot, as these injuries would be most frustrating.

Well, the other thing that I suspect with Bruce is people underestimating
his importance. They just look at his frequently horrendous shooting and...
well, you've read the comments. I'm pretty sure there's be a lot more talk
if Walker or Mercer went down.
I'm inclined to think a lot of Travis being so injury prone this year may
actually be due to his need to bulk up and get in better shape.
The KA thing, if it really is just tendonitis and a bone bruise, really
wouldn't be likely to get more damaged by the bit he played, just more
painful. It's the pulls and tears that you really risk with play. The big
soncern there, IMO is that tendonitis so often becomes chronic, with
repeated appearances and disappearances. I'm not trying to pretend I'm an
expert on this stuff, BTW, I've just managesd to do enough damage to myself
over the years that I've more personal experience than I'd like. If you're
at all interested in some technical stuff, Johns Hopkins runs a really good
health info site that just had an interesting article by an orthopedic
surgeon specifically about what playing hoops does to the knees. The URL fot
the article is:
http://www.intelihealth.com/news?176020&r=EMIHC000

-Kim
Kim Malo