fearless predictions

here is my take on what I expect next year.

1.  The CBA, after a brief FA signing stoppage, will be amended to include
some kind of rule for Franchise players like antoine.  That way the superstars
get their money, but only one per team.  That will avoid the problem of
Pheonix, LA, NY etc. monopolizing talent.

2.  The celtics will become known as a truly dangerous offensive team,
possibly leading the league in scoring, with Andreson at the helm.  Defense
will be good too, but no Theo Ratliff or Matt Geiger can really do much to
stop the best post up players; by closing up the hole to easy penetration,
however, they will drive down our points allowed, and help to make us a 45-50
win team.  Antoine may or may not show the poise we need him, suggesting that
he may or may not be cornerstone for the franchise, suggesting that we may or
may not pay him a fortune,electing instead to get a dominant FA center if one
is available next year, or sign him and trade him for Tim Duncan.  I hope and
believe he will come around, start passing more, and get a little more rhythm
into his one on one game.  Ron will contine his bright ascent, and we might
even get some scoring out of the three spot, esp if we can get a post up guy
like a Nick Anderson or Corliss Williamson.  In the playoffs, we may or may
not reach the eastern finals, but if we do it will be overachieving.  Getting
to the second round should be our goal.

3.  The defense should cause some teams fits,  and our offense should carry us
over the teams that break it for easy layups -- most of the time.  teams like
Miami and Seattle will continue to dominate us -- although we should beat
everybody at least once.  We will not be ready for elite status until we
acquire a truly animalistic defensive center, a raw monster who eats layups
alive.  If we get him AND keep Anoine and Kenny OR if by some chance Ron
Mercer becomes a dominant, MJ-style shooting guard as Alan Houston is doing,
we have a chance of winning a title or even several in the following three or
four years.  I think Ron is as good as the late Reggie Lewis myself, so it
wouldn't surprise me.  But as they say, defense wins, and only one team in NBA
history has won with only an off guard and a great forward.  But Ron is no MJ.

this is all a best case scenario, of course.  We all know the worst case ones.