Re: Olokowandi...another Foyle?

In a message dated 98-03-10 08:05:26 EST, FalconeR@nvg.com wrote:

<< Olowokandi is a legitimate 7-footer (unlike Foyle, who stands about 6-9)
 who carries a muscular 250 pounds on his frame.  He seems to run the
 floor like a deer, and appeared very athletic.

 The down side:  he disappeared in the game against Utah State when
 Pacific got down.  Also, while he WAS able to get his shots off at will
 against the smaller Utah State players, there is no doubt that his offense
 is raw as can be.  He repeatedly fell for the other team's pump fakes and
 would commit fouls while attempting to block shots. >>

Kandi Man currently carries a muscular 270 pounds. In another 3 - 5years, he
will very easily carry 285 pouns on his frame.

I wouldn't say he "disappeared" against Utah State.  He scored 32 points on 14
- 23 from the field despite double and triple teaming. He accounted for 1/2 of
his team's total offense because Pacific's backcourt went stone cold. In the
process, he displayed a variety of shots: a turnaround jumper, a sweet hook
shot, and a very nice touch from 10 feet or so by going glass a couple of
times to compliment his rim-rocking jams.

Utah State decided that if Pacific was going to beat them, they would have to
do it from the perimeter and sagged down low on Olowokandi and defied the
Pacific guards to beat them which Pacific obviously was unable to do. How
effective would Olowokandi be with a point guard like Kenny Anderson feeding
him easy looks instead of a Division 1 guard that you and I will never hear of
again once Kandi Man graduates?

By the way, to your point about him repeatedly falling to pump fakes &
committing fouls: he sat out the final 5 minutes of the first half with 3
fouls after scoring 12 points in the opening 10 minutes of the game . He
played  the entire second half, scored 20 more points, blocked 4 shots, and
finished the game still with only 3 fouls so I'm not sure where that comment
is coming from.

Steve