Re: Olokowandi...another Foyle?

I think that the analogy between Foyle and Olowokandi (pronounced
All-oh-ah-kahn-dee) is very appropriate.  After seeing the recent interest
in him posted on the list, I had the opportunity to watch him play twice
over the weekend, and the similarities between the two players was
striking.

Before everyone jumps down my throat for the comparison to Adonal,
try to remember that Foyle was / is an incredible physical specimen
whose combination of strength, speed, and athleticism might someday
offset his raw offensive skills and general lack of basketball experience.
Had he actually gone to Duke or Syracuse (the other two schools the
media incessantly reminded us that he turned down while being
recruited), he'd be light years ahead of where he is now as a player.

Olowokandi is a legitimate 7-footer (unlike Foyle, who stands about 6-9)
who carries a muscular 250 pounds on his frame.  He seems to run the
floor like a deer, and appeared very athletic.

The down side:  he disappeared in the game against Utah State when
Pacific got down.  Also, while he WAS able to get his shots off at will
against the smaller Utah State players, there is no doubt that his offense
is raw as can be.  He repeatedly fell for the other team's pump fakes and
would commit fouls while attempting to block shots.

Someone recently expressed sentiment about Olowokandi being a good
pick around the #10 spot.  I'd agree with that, based on athleticism alone
(again, the comparison to Foyle is appropriate--wasn't he the #9 or the
#10 pick last year?).  However, anyone who drafts him is looking at a 2
or 3 year project while his basketball skills catch up to his physical skills.

Thus, while the Celts desperately need help in the pivot, I'm not sure that
this is a guy who's well suited to Pitino's system at this stage of his
basketball development.  Rick seems to get frustrated with young players
who make a lot of mistakes (don't flame me for this guys--it's true).  What
Olowokandi probably needs is to go to a team with an experienced
center who can show him the ropes.

Ryan