Re: Get Real About The C's Chances Against Utah

In a message dated 98-03-04 09:57:56 EST, FalconeR@nvg.com writes:

> I think that you must be daft!  Regardless of how much progress the team
>  seems to have made since the Anderson trade, it's both ridiculous and
>  premature to imply that the beloved Celtics are in the same class as
>  upper echelon NBA teams like Utah--yet.
>
>  Let's be a little more realistic with our expectations.  I think this game
> is a
>  good measuring benchmark--a chance to ascertain exactly where the
>  men in green stand vis a vis arguably the most experienced, most
>  consummately professional, and best executing team in the league.
>
>  I, for one, expect the Celts to get blown out tonight.  However, I'd be
>  pleasantly surprised if they were able to give the Jazz a good game.

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say that the Celtics are going to beat
Utah (and I don't think the original poster absolutely guaranteed a win
either), but isn't this the same reaction many of us had prior to the opening
game of the season? Those who predicted that the Celts would even be on the
same court as Chicago for that game (let alone WIN the game) were branded as
having unrealistic expectations...

This observation is IN NO WAY intended as a flame and I am not directing these
comments to Ryan specifically because I am sure that many others thought the
same thing. I just read his post and it seemed very similar to the comments on
the list back in October -- the measuring stick idea and the expectation of a
blowout... I'll admit it: like Ryan, I will also be pleasantly surprised with
a Celtics win.

PEACE!!!

--Tom