Bird Comments

Came across these Larry Bird comments from last October.

Vinny

LARRY Bird noticed Dave
Cowens was smiling an awful lot during last month's league meetings.
"That'll change when David
                     Wesley starts hoisting up 20-footers with Glen Rice
open on the wings and Anthony Mason posted up inside," Bird said. "Wesley's
a good player but
                     he's going to get off 10-12 shots a game no matter
what, and he can't finish his move once he penetrates. He reminds me a lot
of Sam Vincent."

                     Despite Boston telling a number of teams Antoine
Walker is off limits, don't be shocked if Rick Pitino packages him in order
to extract Pervis Ellison or
                     Dee Brown from cap. From what I'm told, the Celtics -
as well as the Heat and 76ers - were heavily in the hunt for Joe Smith. Was
Walker the bait?

                     To put it mildly, Bird is not a big fan of Brown. "Dee
may be in good shape now, but he'll get hurt, wait and see," Bird predicts.
"He doesn't work hard.
                     Never did. Dave Gavitt took the hit for re-signing
Dee, but it was the owners who made that call, I was there. It was right
after Reggie Lewis died. They
                     wanted the next-best player signed long-term. I tried
to tell them, "Just because you give $4 million to a $1 million player,
it's not going to make him $3
                     million better.'"