Re: The Walker debate

Theresa Lee wrote:

> It's possible to be uncomfortable with Antoine's showboating and trash
> talking and also to think that he is a great player. It doesn' t have to be
> black and white. If someone is critical of a player, they can still admire
> other qualities.

I'm one of those people: I am uncomfortable with his showboating, but Iconsider him a future
superstar.  Certainly, Antoine and the team would be
better off if he would tone down the wiggle.

> Walker scored the game winning point? Barely. It really wasn't like that.
> More like Rasheed Wallace PURPOSELY FOULED ANTOINE WALKER  simply because he THOUGHT Antoine WOULD
> NOT make the shots. It didn't work out that way, but it also shows a lack of respect for Antoine
> (which of course is based in the reality that he was missing a lot of foul shots in that game).

This statement unfortunately sums up the tone of the many posts that complain about Walker.  There
is a sizable contingent of list members who see Antoine's glass asalways half empty--he can do no
right.  Think back to the game when he scored
49; instead of praising Walker for leading a comeback that fell short when Barros
missed at the buzzer, many posts blamed Antoine for the loss because he missed
several FTs, committed a turnover late, and fouled out.  This time, the situation was
exactly reversed: Boston blew the lead and was lucky to win when the buzzer shot
missed.  But even though Wallace committed a completely stupid foul (his coach
was shocked) and Walker DID make the decisive FT, the focus is again on what
Antoine did wrong.  One can only imagine the grief that would have rained down if
Walker had missed both, or if he had made the blunder of purposely fouling someone
with five seconds left in a tie game.

> He had no reason to jump on the scorer's table....they backed into the win
> when they should have been celebrating a blowout.
>
> Sometimes it does count HOW you win. That is, from the Celtics fans
> perspective. We should demand players who respect the game, their opponent
> and the history that is the Boston Celtics. Why shouldn't we?
>
> This is not meant as a condemnation of AW. I like him. He just isn't that
> polished yet....his game or his demeanor. But then I wasn't either at his age.

I agree completely.  Antoine is immature and has plenty of flaws.  But he alsoaccomplishes a lot of
good results for the Celtics, and IMHO he deserves a more
balanced treatment from this list.

Mike Dynon