Re: labor negotiations

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:42:44 EDT, Alex Wang wrote:

>I wonder how the labor negotiations are going to work out. My feeling
>is that a hard cap is not going to happen. Really, the primary problem
>is that unproven players like Garnett are getting loads of cash based
>on potential, and blackmailing owners by threatening to walk away with
>nothing. I expect longer rookie contracts, and some sort of restricted
>free agency afterwards, where a team gets compensated with draft picks
>if they lose their free agent. Perhaps a right of first refusal would
>be a possibility also.

Unfortunately, the NBA seems to be rule-change happy these days.  They
can never seems to let any set of rules stand long enough for the
participants in the league to learn how to live with them.  Whether
it's the 3 year rule for rookie's or the fabulous oscillating three
point line, they change the boundaries every time something that
upsets them happens.

>An idea I would like to see happen, although I really doubt it, is
>seven-year rookie contracts; but each year spent in college reduces
>it by a year. This really might encourage kids to stay in school (or
>go to school in the case of the high school kids). Teams would get to
>see their player at either the college or pro level for seven years
>before committing, which seems fair enough.

That's a clever idea, but I think it would just set off another round
of unintended consequences.  It would make it more profitable
(perhaps) for a player to stay in school, but it would also give the
clubs that picks the youngest players an advantage.

If teams that sign 18 year olds are getting such a raw deal, why don't
they just stop signing them?

Bill Cooper

P.S. and after all, if the legal situation stops the league from
banning college underclassmen (or college no-classmen), then it's hard
to see how this rule would pass legal muster either.