Re: labor negotiations

-----Original Message-----

>On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:42:44 EDT, Alex Wang wrote:
>
>>I wonder how the labor negotiations are going to work out. My feeling
>>is that a hard cap is not going to happen. Really, the primary problem
>>is that unproven players like Garnett are getting loads of cash based
>>on potential, and blackmailing owners by threatening to walk away with
>>nothing. I expect longer rookie contracts, and some sort of restricted
>>free agency afterwards, where a team gets compensated with draft picks
>>if they lose their free agent. Perhaps a right of first refusal would
>>be a possibility also.

Here is my take on the new CBA:
The Cap money will go up the players % will stay the same
A hard cap will be institiuted with a luxury tax, to provide escape route
for
teams like New York, LA etc.
Larry Bird exemption is here to stay subject to the hard cap
Rookie contracts will be for a duration of 5 years.
                                                         - Mishra