Re: No to players who don't have offense...

Jaime Castillo, Jr. wrote:

> As Pitino stressed, the team doesn't need anymore of a "i can only defend"
> type of a player.  What the team needs now are scoring and scoring and
> scoring...and also with lots of DEFENSE on the side!

Now that we have Pierce why do we need more scoring?

> Maybe a more possibility is a Dave Robinson or a Pippen.

David Robinson maybe, after we got Pierce though I think Scottie fell
off the Celtic's radar

> We shouldn't add on to our limited offense situation anymore.  That we
> should be concentrating on getting a complete player not a one dimensional
> (either offense only type or a defense only type) player.

> Michael Stewart...one dimensional ---defense only

Have you seen Yogi play? While he is a wonderful shotblocker he isn't a
particularly good defender(he's pushed around and leaves his feet too
much). Defense and shotblocking aren't synononymous.

> Geiger...one dimensional ---- offense only

Again have you seen Geiger play? While he's a mediocre shotblocker, he
is a big body who uses his weight. He's easily a better post defender
than either Ratliff or Stewart. As for his offense I think you overrate
it. While Geiger can hit out to 22 feet and finish off feeds, he doesn't
have many moves to call his own(although this may be because Mason and
Rice dominate the post and perimeter--leaving few opportuinities for
Geiger).

> Nazr ....also one dimensional ---defense only

You're about right on this one.

> Doleac... limited defense and offense...both

You're right here too.

> Lastly, I guess the reason why Pitino didn't or wouldn't push for a deal for
> Mcdyess is that he's really not a big scorer.  He's an erratic scorer that
> he could score 20 points but grabs only 2 or 3 boards in one game or vice
> versa.  He's not a complete package if you would compare him to a Pippen,
> Robinson, or a Malone.

Again I must ask you have you seen these people play? Mcdyess has an
offensive game similar to(if not superior to) Matt Geiger. His range is
a little less than Geiger's but he finishes with Kempian strength. He
also shoot's well above 50%(which suggests his offensive talents are
underutilized). Mcdyess's limited offensive output this year is due to
the amount of scorers on the Suns this year rather than his limitations.
Under Pitino's tuteledge Mcdyess could easily be one of the top power
fowards.
	We can't afford him though. So the point is moot.

> WHAT WE NEED IS A COMPLETE PACKAGE... sad to say, I don't know if we'll ever
> get one for this season!!!

Again I ask you why? We have 4 amazing scorers now. To have another
would only cause players to squabble over scoring opportuinities.
Geiger's bulk and unselfish offense would be nice(rather than ideal,
Geiger doesn't block many shots). Ratliff would be nice but too skinny.
Stewart is the same as Ratliff. Our best bet though would be someone
like Brian Skinner, Bo Outlaw or Dale Davis, someone who could grab 10
boards, block shots and contest Shaq on the post. Defense only gets my
vote.