RE: Celtics/NBA Notes - June 1, 1998

John Lyell wrote:
> What about this idea.
>
>  Move Walker for David Robinson.  2's 3's & 4's are easy to find,  but top
> notch big men and points are scarce.
>
> Then
>
> Move Kenny Anderson for a 3 or 4 , draft a Nowitski & a Miles Simon or
> Bryce Drew,   and go after Marbury
>
> or
>
> Sign Tom Guggliotta .  Draft a Nowitski or Lee Nailon and a Simon, Drew or
>  a guy like Bennett Davidson who reminds me a lot of Rodman on the boards
> but less of a head case.
>
> Guggliotta's number are comparable to Walkers.

Would San Antonio make that trade?  I think not.  They're not ready to go into
a rebuilding phase by trading their veteran star for a future star.  In another
2 years San Antonio and LA are the most likely teams to be dominating in the
Western conference, as Utah and Seattle will have key veterans retiring, though
Seattle might hang on 2 or 3 years.  Also, Chicago will be gone from the picture
by then.  So why should San Antonio break up a team that's so close to
dominance, and in which most of their primary players are 30-32 years
old and have 4 or 5 good years left?

Also, why would the Celtics trade Kenny Anderson?  He's one of the few true
point gaurds in the game, and one of best at playing the freelance up-tempo
game that the Celtics want.  His immediate impact on the Celtics offense was
obvious right from his first game.  The Celtics forced more turnovers than
anyone else, but couldn't convert them into points until Anderson arrived.
They went from a horrible conversion rate of turnovers into points to an
incredibly good conversion rate as soon as Anderson joined the lineup.
A fair trade wouldn't bring the C's as much value as they'd be losing, because
Anderson is more valuable to the C's than to any other team in the NBA.
This is the one point gaurd the Celtics need, and they've got him
locked up at a decent salary for a long time, and he's thrilled to be
playing in this style of offense.  They'd be CRAZY to trade him away!

In my opinion, the only other guy on the Celtics that they shouldn't even
consider trading is Ron Mercer.

Jon Mc