RE: Celtics/NBA Notes - June 1, 1998

On Wednesday, June 03, 1998 8:05 AM, Jonathan McIntyre [SMTP:jmc@ptc.com]
wrote:
> John Lyell wrote:
> > What about this idea.
> >
> >  Move Walker for David Robinson.  2's 3's & 4's are easy to find,  but
top
> > notch big men and points are scarce.
> >
> > Then
> >
> > Move Kenny Anderson for a 3 or 4 , draft a Nowitski & a Miles Simon or
> > Bryce Drew,   and go after Marbury
> >
> > or
> >
> > Sign Tom Guggliotta .  Draft a Nowitski or Lee Nailon and a Simon, Drew
or
> >  a guy like Bennett Davidson who reminds me a lot of Rodman on the
boards
> > but less of a head case.
> >
> > Guggliotta's number are comparable to Walkers.
>
> Would San Antonio make that trade?

They would in a minute.  I think they know Duncan is their future.
The twin towers did not work in Houston, and won't in San Antonio.

  I think not.  They're not ready to go into
> a rebuilding phase by trading their veteran star for a future star.  In
another
> 2 years San Antonio and LA are the most likely teams to be dominating in
the
> Western conference, as Utah and Seattle will have key veterans retiring,
though
> Seattle might hang on 2 or 3 years.  Also, Chicago will be gone from the
picture
> by then.  So why should San Antonio break up a team that's so close to
> dominance, and in which most of their primary players are 30-32 years
> old and have 4 or 5 good years left?

Other than Duncan & Robinson they have nothing and are perennial good
season but early outs .

> Also, why would the Celtics trade Kenny Anderson?

Maybe for a shot at Marbury who is a better all-around player capable of
taking over a game,  and the last 3 years have shown Anderson is just too
injury prone ?