Re: All Stars??

In message <54A886AD0708D111B4ED006097B1A4F03D1BA4@emh.cnsl.spear.navy.mil>,
"K
ern, M. Brandon" said:
> I would have to agree that the system sucks.  The  All Star game is to
> honor the players that have had a good season.  It is now a joke because
> it has become a popularity contest.  I'm convinced that someone like MJ
> could not play a single game the first half of the season and still make
> the team.

No, the All-Star game is to entertain the typical fan.  Of course it is a
popularity contest, and the voting has little or nothing to do with who
"deserves" it.  I stopped caring or watching the All-Star "game" years ago.
It has nothing to do with reall basketball.

Most fans are ignorant of the true quality of the players.  They vote for
their home-town players, then fill out the ballot with players they
recognize.  Players from big markets like LA have a big advantage, as do the
players currently being publicized by the NBA and the shoe companies.

Typically, a player gets voted into the All-Star about two years after he
begins to "deserve it", and gets voted in a couple of years after he stops
deserving it, on the basis of reputation.  It is not going to change...get
over it.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com