Re: mean people who pick on Chauncey

>You have stumbled over one of the points I have been trying to make for
>years.  Why would these players care about winning and improving their
>skills when they become millionaires as soon as they get into the
>league.

Because money doesn't necessarily affect your desire to win.  You either
care about it or you don't, but as you say, they are getting paid the same
whether they win or not.

Why try to improve when you can make 10 million + per year
>(like Walker is going to get) for shooting 42%.

Because they want to be better players.  Why don't you ask Michael Jordan
why he works so hard?  I understand having a generally pessimistic view of
the average American, but this is a little too bad.

Look at the league and ask yourself how
>many of these players are really worth what they are making and you will
>see why this league is doomed financially.

In my opinion, none are worth what they are getting paid.  But the money is
there.

>Estimates of salaries:
>Walker 10-20 million a year
>Mercer 7-15 million a year
>Knight already 7 million a year
>hmmm doesn't leave much for the others does it.

I thought Knight signed a $22 million contract over 7 years.  That averages
out to about $3 million.  People on this list are acting like we have sunk
the ship over Travis Knight, because he isn't Hakeem Olajuwon.  His salary
isn't THAT high now, and it sure as heck won't be high in 5-7 years.  His
entire contract is worth one year of Kevin Garnett, for crying out loud.
Again, can't we give him a chance?  Some folks expect us to turn around
from league laughingstock to league champs in one year, and that is crazy.

Matt