RE: Sonics

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, John Lyell wrote:

> Cecil you are correct. The Kemp for Baker swap could be just what they
> needed.  Baker outscored Kemp 25-9 I believe the other night in about 28
> minutes .  This guy does not get the credit he deserves.  You are right I
> still have not seen CB show signs he can play the point at the level we
> need.  Many say it took Payton a fews years, this is not totally correct.
>  Payton was an excellent playmaker in college, and has always been a
> playmaker.  He was not moved from another position and made play something
> he was not.  This usually does not work at the pro level.

He (Payton) was also severely criticized for his out-of-control erratic
play and deplored for his antagonistic and often confrontational style.
In other words, there were noticeable chinks in his armor.

> You are correct this was a team loss, but I believe that that point makes
> everything happen or not.  The good point guards are able to penetrate for
> easy layups or dish off to teammates for easy baskets and make everyone
> better.

You won't find many easy layups by point guards anymore, because most
teams play a hellp defence.

> If you watch a Stockten or Kidd, as soon as they get the ball the
> push it up the floor and can read the lanes of find the open man.  Billups
> seems real hesitant to do this or just doesn't show the instinct.

I agree on this point.  He seems hesitant alot more than a good point
guard should, but he obviously hasn't reached that level yet.

Here's stats from Payton's rookie year, followed by Billups':
82g, 27.4mpg, .450fg%, .0773pt%, .711ft%, 3rpg,   6.4apg,   2spg,   7.2ppg
33g, 23.8mpg, .375fg%, .3303pt%, .842ft%, 1.9rpg, 3.9apg, 1.48spg,  10.1ppg

FYI, during the 93/94 season, Payton's ft% dipped to .595%, but he improved.
Who's to say CB can't improve other areas of his game as well?  The fact
is that C's fans demand success.  That is okay but we must realize that
babysteps are being made with this team even though we played like crap
last night.  Like it or not, it will take more time than any of us would
like, but my Mom always said that "good things come to those who wait."

Be patient my friend.

Cecil