Frustration

As Dennis Miller says, I don't want to get off on a rant, but:

--Just when our expectations have increased, the Celts have reverted to
their form of last season--in other words, they are playing without a
clue!  Every player has contracted Dee Brown disease--refusal to drive,
settling for the jumper.  Is that evidence that the team is, indeed,
tiring from the pace?

--The defense, when it works, is wasted because the forwards dribble too
much and the team doesn't have a point guard who can create layups.

--I've been following the Celts since 1965, and I can't ever remember
them playing three straight games *without having the lead once,* not
even by a point, not even for one possession!  Yet that's what happened
on Wed., Fri. and Sat.  I have tickets for the San Antonio game, and I'm
not really looking forward to it.

--Did someone do something to start a vendetta by the refs?  45 FTAs to
5 on Friday, 40 to 7 on Saturday!?  85 to 12!!!???  Single-digit
attempts in two straight games!?  I would guess that a team has NEVER
been subjected to that before.  Just by accident, there HAVE to be at
least five shooting fouls in a 48-minute game--but somehow not the last
two nights.  Antoine took a total of 45 shots in the two games (SOME of
them were in the paint), and got 2 FTAs Friday, 0 on Saturday. Oh, he's
getting plenty of respect from the refs, yeah.

--Those are the numbers, but how about some scenarios?  In the first
quarter, Seikaly thinks he's fouled, but is called for traveling.  He
shrieks loudly enough for the whole building to hear him, charges
referee Steve Javie, and, while play is stopped and all eyes are on
them, SCREAMS in Javie's face.  No technical.  In the third quarter,
Antoine's shot is blocked and the Magic take off on a fast break.  After
Orlando scores, the whistle blows and a T is given for what Antoine
said, in virtual privacy, to the ref as they were 80 feet behind the
play.  Then, with one minute left in the game, Antoine is ejected after
he dunks on 6'1" Darrell Armstrong, who had blocked his dunk in the
first half.  Why the ejection?  He LOOKED at Armstrong, with a blank
expression, for between 1 and 2 seconds.  Javie deems this to be
taunting (even though the NBA rule book says taunting must be a
"blatant" action).  So the man plays 42 minutes, takes 28 shots, grabs
12 boards, yet never gets to the line, and is ejected for LOOKING at
someone.  Is that equitable?

--Is there a more annoying PA announcer than the bleeping bleep in
Orlando?  "RONNN-neeeeee SSSSEIK-a-leeeeeee from DARRRR-ellllll
ARRRRRRRM-STRONG!!!!!"  And when the opponent scores, he sounds like his
dog just died.  Then there's all that mocking music they play after a
turnover or missed FT, and the bleep's favorite: "TRAV-el-ING...ING...
ING..."  Now THAT is taunting!

(Deep breath)  Well, sorry to go on for so long, but I had to get that
off my chest.  Obviously, this is a tough part of the schedule, but I
just can't believe how everything has suddenly gone so wrong.

Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI

P.S. If anyone out there is an IRS agent, that ref's name is J-A-V-I-E.