Re[6]: ANTOINE COSTING THE CELT's TWO POINTS A GAME?

Subject: Re: Re[4]: ANTOINE COSTING THE CELT's TWO POINTS A GAME?
Author:  "Shailendra K Mishra" <smishra@ix.netcom.com> at Internet
Date:    2/27/98 9:11 AM

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Lee <Ryan.Lee@parexel.com>

>I distinctly remember Jordan has a better FG % than Walker which means he
can
>put the ball in the bucket better than Antoine.  Also Jordan has a better
shot
>selection than Walker and when Jordan does force shots, they tend to go in.
Also
>when Jordan is double teamed he does something Walker doesn't do and he
passes
>out of it.  So his Bulls teammates ARE in sync because they get the ball
more
>than the Celtics do.

*Jordan is shooting 45% and this has improved about 1-1/2% point with Pippen
back. Jordan doesn't always pass out of the double team, there are many a
times when he beats the double team by taking the ball to the hoop and
getting fouled. In addition you make it sound, as if Walker doesn't pass the
ball and Jordan always does, then my question is, why are his assist numbers
better than Jordan?

I said Jordan passes out of double teams, I didn't say he makes more
assists.  Please read my statements more carefully and stop taking them out
of text.  By passing out of double teams more, Jordan commits fewer
turnovers and allows Pippen or some other player to make some plays.  And I
don't know what games you are watching but Walker 80% of the time will not
pass out of the double team.  Recently since the addition of Anderson,
Walker's offense and passing has improved in that he does not have to handle
the ball as much now that there is a better passer to handle the ball.

>A Pitino team could lose by 11 and the game could still be considered
close.
>I can't remember specific games but the Celts had a few other losses where
they
>cut it to within single digits with a minute left only to lose by double
digits.

*How is that a close game..with 1 minute left and if a team behind by 8 or 9
points.
It's called foul and send the other guy to the free throw line as soon as he
touches the ball with the hopes that he misses and you are able to score.  I
believe that's what the Celts were able to do against Washington at the Fleet
the first time around although I think there were two minutes left at the
time.  And when Celts are unable to score and the other teams make their free
throws in the last minute or so, the end result is C's losing by 10 or 11
which makes for a close game.

>     *  You burnt yourself with this argument.  This was the one game that
>     where Walker really pissed me off the most so I remember it the most.
>     Walker fouled out right after he tried to drive in on a triple team
>     with 30 seconds to go.

Oh yeah! I saw that game too. It was Walker's heroics that kept us in the
game otherwise we were getting blown out. I also recall the C's had a last
shot and were down by 2 with a reasonable amount of time to go and couldn't
make the shot to tie or win. <In fact with Walker out of the lineup, Pitino
decided that he has no reasonable chance to win it in overtime, so they went
for the 3 point shot>.

     Like I said before, read my previous statements more carefully.  I
     said Walker was instrumental in the comeback but he sabotaged his own
     performance by driving in on three people and getting stripped when he
     could have set up a play with loads of time left.  And the very last
     statement is total bull because unless you are Pitino, you do not
     really know why he opted to have Dana go for the last second 3 instead
     of a two.  The FACT is that Pitino decided to take a gamble which is
     what they do in sports to go for the win.  It has nothing to do with
     the Celts having no chances to win in overtime (according to you),
     because Strickland had fouled out and Webber and Howard had 4 or 5
     personals on them already.  If what you said were true that Pitino
     thought that without Walker they had no chance in overtime, then you
     degrade Pitino's status a coach because he has every ounce of faith in
     his team to perform in the crunch.

                                                                     -
Mishra