Re: Shot selection

> >If you put the pressure of carrying the team in scoring on Mercer, his shooting
> >percentage would drop a lot. It's easier to shoot a better fg% when you aren't
> >the primary option.
>
> I can't by this argument Alex.  We can all name many forwards who are the
> respective primary options on their teams, who are the primary options and
> shoot much more within their means.

Cecil, I am not saying that a primary option can't shoot well, I'm just
saying that it makes it more difficult. In addition, he is the ONLY inside option
for the Celtics, and the only reliable scorer (though Mercer is coming along).
He's admitted that before this year he has not had much of a low-post game but
he's already drawing criticism for not being a Malone or Barkley-type post
player. I definitely agree that he can improve all aspects of his game but
he's under difficult circumstances that will improve.

Walker is currently shooting 42% on two-pointers and 28% on three-pointers.
If Walker could hit just one shot per game that he currently misses, he will
be shooting 45% which would be pretty reasonable. So he's probably costing us
about two points a game from bad shot selection. The lack of good shot selection
is really a team issue, with the team shooting under 43% from the field.

> >As for Walker becoming a Karl Malone or Barkley type player, I don't see it
> >happening. It doesn't really fit his skills.
>
> No but he could take a little from both of their games to make himself and
> his team better.  They have never won it all despite having superb skills.
> It would be a shame if Antoine fell into the same category.

I'm always amazed at how not winning a championship can be such a stigma.
If Antoine can even be mentioned in the same context as these "non-championship"
players, he deserves his $100M+ contract.

Alex